The Baron zu Knyphausen estate is one of the oldest Rheingau estates having been founded in 1141 by the Cistercian monks of the Abbey of Eberbach.
For over 650 years it remained under the ownership and administration of the Abbey, which was well known for its knowledge and quality in vine growing and for its cleverness to establish some of the finest vineyards in the world. Until secularization in 1803, the estate was in the possession of the Abbey of Eberbach.
In 1818 the estate had been bought by the ancestors of the present owner, Gerko Baron zu Knyphausen. It has remained in the family ever since.
The high ranking members (Princes, Counts and Barons) of this old and noble family (since 1350) originally came from the castle Knyphausen in Ostfriesland in northern Germany. Many family members were influential in the development and history of Friesland, Prussia and Germany as generals, ministers and diplomats.
Today the estate is managed by its present owner Gerko Baron Knyphausen thereby fulfilling the cultural and traditional obligations established by the family and its estate through the past centuries.
Baron Knyphausen is actively engaged in maintaining the beauty and splendor of his property. Furthermore he is an active member of numerous vintners associations including the prestigious Association of German Prädikat Wine Estates ( VDP ) and the Rheingau CHARTA association. Both require high quality standards, strictly sustainable vineyard management, low yields and handcrafting production methods.